Saturday, January 8, 2011

Thriving....

Thriving, according to Dictionary.com is defined as:
1. to prosper; be fortunate or successful.
2. to grow or develop vigorously; flourish: The children thrived in the country.

The question is, does it take money to thrive?  Look at children; especially babies; do they need a lot of money to thrive?  No, not really.  There are some that believe that by relaxing often and breathing deeply you will find the thriving feeling you may have lost as a child.  I think kids in most everyday, minimally dysfunctional families thrive naturally.  Most kids provided with the essentials do very well for themselves and thrive.  Take, for instance, the kids pictured here from one of my last trips to Ecuador. 



This is the their school bus.  They were so happy, chatting along, squished together, on their way to school.  It was drizzly that day and my heart went out to them.  "Poor kids," I thought as they drove away to their destination....but were they really poor?  It puzzled me when I first saw these kids (granted, that was about 20 yrs ago) how these kids were able to thrive in such underprivileged conditions, but thrive they did (or it least it seemed that way to me.)  
Sometimes, the nature to thrive seen in children is contagious if we are conscious enought to notice.  Boy, do I need to slow down sometimes...but then again, maybe my inability to sit still is just a derivative of a strong will to thrive! (Yeah....that's the ticket!)

Loudly yours,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment