Saturday, January 15, 2011

Junk in the trunk winner....

Last night was Justin's Gong Show and I was very excited to be there since I missed it last year.  I got there really early and scored a front row, center seat.  Awesome, especially since I have a Flip Cam and it does not do well from far away.  The show started out great, had its weak points, especially when the screaming band that sounded like they might be from hell, came out.  Loved the hip hop dancers and the amazing step team for sure; but of course the best for me, was Justin and the way he worked the crowd.  The crowd loved him, some shouting wonderful things, like "I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY!!"  (from both boys and girls) and "I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!"  

His first number, including very talented musicians, was an instrumental which made me so very proud since Justin played the Bass.  He only started to play the bass in the summer.  He is so talented that way.  He even, in his Senior year, picked up the Stand Up Bass and is playing for the Jazz Band Ensemble. Crazy.  He's got his Mother's chutzpa.....(beam with pride).  You have to have guts to perform in front of a crowd with an instrument you have had less than 8 months with. I don't know...call me crazy...I just think that's worth bragging about.  

ANYWAY..toward the end of the show, the emcees came out into the crowd and asked the parents to raise their hands, so I did.  They came around and said they needed a volunteer and wouldn't I like to come up and volunteer?  Well, gosh, they asked so nicely, who could refuse? So I went..how bad could it be?  (I should have guessed from the fact that they already had volunteers do a head shaking assignment from "Minute to Win it" that they would have had something wacky, but whatever.)  So, they ask me my name, I tell them "Mrs. Bozza" and some of the kids who know me scream "We love you, Mrs. Bozza!!" (nice to have fans through your kids) :)

I step onto the stage and am joined by a student volunteer (since none of the other parents were daring enough to join me!!) and listen to the video instruction (just like on the show).  Your assignment is: "Junk in the Trunk.".......what? Junk in the Trunk?  Oh no.  Not junk in the trunk. I cover my face in embarrassment. What did I do?!?  I am not an avid fan of the show, but I have seen the Junk in the Trunk assignment played out before.  They strap on this belt with a tissue box on the back filled with ping pong balls and you have to shake your "trunk" until you get them all the "junk" out under a minute.  Oh, the joy.  It was fun, but I was thinking that my kids MUST have been embarrassed.  I ended up completing my task in under a minute, but the kid who I was up against got all his "junk" out a couple of seconds before me.  It was fun and hey, I got a pink camo Par Hills Sweatshirt and a spot on the 2011 Gong Show DVD.  Please let this not count toward my 15 seconds of fame, please?

Loudly yours,

Alicia

ps- My kids were not embarrassed! LOL!! ;-)

4 comments:

  1. So proud of Justin. He is an awesome, awesome young man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure where my pride is the strongest - with Justin & his awesome-ness, or with you & the empty trunk! This was a great post! Congrats on your near-win & for being such a strong woman you would get up. I have no doubt that your entire family was beaming with pride as you shook your trunk on stage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Carla! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete