Thursday, January 20, 2011

Brilliant parenting idea!

I spoke to my Sister yesterday for a while and toward the end of our conversation, she told me of such a bright idea! She said that her son is more of a hands on type of person and she wanted to teach him a lesson he could actually feel instead of lecturing him about it.  She wanted to let him know about how his behavior affects the family and how certain behaviors can be burdensome while others are helpful. She told him that he would be given a backpack to wear whenever he misbehaved and that she would place a book in it to show how it feels to be burdened by a weight. She explained to him that being disruptive is burdensome to the family or to people in general.  She would say to her son, "Do you want to help people or hurt people? Make your choice."  A book is added for misbehavior and taken away for good behavior.  Showing him what it feels like to be "burdened".  I love the idea so much, I put it into practice.  It worked like a charm.  I gave my youngest son a little backpack and put a child's book in it for eating in my bedroom (no food is allowed upstairs-especially in my room)  and another book for picking on his Sister. He fought me to put it on, but was very happy when I complimented him for playing nicely with his Sister, which allowed him to take a book out.  He was so happy that he volunteered to help me pick up the little paper circles from the hole puncher that I spilled on the dining room floor.  "Bella, we have to help Mommy pick up the little circles!"  he said cheerfully.  Then a light went off in his head.  "Mom!" he said, "Now I get to take another book out of my backpack!"  He joyfully took the book and put it on the shelf, flinging the backpack. Freedom! What a great first crack at a new form of discipline!  Loved it!  It is an easy way to show the kids a "consequence" of their behavior and how they have the power to change it.

Loudly yours,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment