Thursday, December 2, 2010

More or less.....

The other day, the kids and I took a little detour to peek at a house decorated to the max, similar to the one above.  I had to chuckle at the house next door, which was completely dark, not even a light on in the house. It was ironic, that the one house was over-done and the other empty.  The scene stuck with me and made me think about how sometimes, life is just that way.  

Driving near the street this morning, Vincent asked; "Mom? Why did you laugh at the house that had no decorations?"  I quickly turned down the Christmas tunes playing loudly on the radio, and explained that I was not laughing so much at the house because it had no lights, as to how one was over decorated and the other not.  I told him that maybe the family who lived there did not celebrate, or did not have enough money to pay for all those decorations;  how maybe that family did not like Christmas.  Vianne chimed in...."What!?  Who doesn't like Christmas?!?" I explained to her that they could be Jewish or that Christmas did not bring happy memories to some people...they hate Christmas because it makes them sad.  She was still confused, but I think my answer satisfied her for a second or two.  I told her that she was very lucky to have a family, Grandparents, Aunts & Uncles who loved her...that there are some little girls who don't even have a family.  

Its funny how life sometimes gives us a lot of "decorations" in our lives....how some have what looks like overabundance and others have none.  It would have been nice if the one decorated house on that street shared some lights so they both could shine. It would be a good lesson in sharing....but maybe the house wants to stay dark and I guess that's ok too.  Every house has its purpose, and maybe that house is not lit to let the other one shine. 

Loudly yours,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment