Thursday, November 25, 2010

Five Kernels of Corn....

It is the morning of Thanksgiving and I have stolen away for a quick entry before the craziness of the day begins.  Quiet is never a word you can use on this Thankful day, but at the moment, I have that luxury.  This year, our family is going to try a new tradition.  Let me give you a little background.  Last week, on the radio, I heard about another family's tradition of placing 5 kernels of corn on each plate to signify 5 things to be thankful for as well as to remember that the Pilgrims were thankful, even though they had as little as 5 kernels to eat a day.  Here is a great reference: The Amazing Mess.

I think it will serve well as a reminder for us to be thankful of the things that we have in life. The Amazing mess site shows what each kernel stands for:

Kernel 1: Bounty and beauty of fall
Kernel 2: Love for each other
Kernel 3: Love for family
Kernel 4: Friendship
Kernel 5: Freedom to worship God


I love it!

In honor of the five kernel story, I am going to practice what I will say at the table here.  

Kernel 1: I am thankful for the health of myself, my family and friends
Kernel 2: I am thankful for the love present in my life
Kernel 3: I am thankful for the love of my family and for their undying support
Kernel 4: I am thankful for the great friendships in my life that thankfully include my family
Kernel 5: I am thankful to God for all the blessings He has given me and my loved ones.


I am also thankful that even though having a large family of 7 children can get crazy, it is never boring and there is a lot of love to go around, even though it comes in spurts!!


I am thankful that Gavin is doing great on his missions trip.
I am thankful that Justin is happy in his senior year of school.
I am thankful that Nathan is adjusting to his Freshman year.
I am thankful that Rachael is enjoying Catholic School & is doing well.
I am thankful that Vianne is discovering her talent & doing well in school.
I am thankful that Vincent is excited about participating in sports and has the energy to do well at the sports he chooses.
I am thankful that Gabriella is very self motivated and thoughtful.
I am thankful that I have an amazing husband who supports me in countless ways.
I am thankful that I have a family who loves me.


I am blessed.


Happy Thanksgiving!!


Loudly yours,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment