Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snuggle people....


No man is an island13, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if promontory14Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. 15 http://isu.indstate.edu/ilnprof/ENG451/ISLAND/text.html

  According to John Donne, "no man (or woman) is an island, entire of itself". I could not agree more.  Some people run into trouble when they think they are the end all, be all, of the world.  I am sure you all know someone who is selfish enough to think of mostly themselves…..you have to feel sorry for these people. If a person is smart, they know that alone, they are nothing. We were created to need other people and other people were created to need us.  It is that simple.  

Have you ever heard the phrase “he/she completes me!”? That is just an impossible statement to me.  One person simply cannot fulfill every single one of another person’s needs.  That is why we have friends and other family members (who are hopefully your friends).
 
While I do believe a spouse can fill many needs in the very important relationship of marriage, a spouse simply cannot do it all. Take for instance my family.  My husband LOVES war games and WWII….I, on the other hand, am not a big fan.  Hubby has tried to get me involved in the games, tried to lure me in using friendlier character games, with interesting situations…but they were just never for me.  Thankfully, our oldest boys have grown up LOVING the games AND WWII, so he had that in common with them and they having grown up sharing that love together. It bonds them and I am happy to be witness to the relationship that blossoms as a result of their common love.  

I believe that every person needs to build their “team” and work together to fill each others needs. I have the luxury of getting instant love from my little snuggle bunnies pretty much on demand.  Sometimes, when I am working, my youngest will come in and just sit on my lap and snuggle for a few, then she will go back to whatever she was doing…her way to say “I love you!”  We need to have “snuggle people” to help us get through life…we just need to remember to snuggle back.

Loudly yours,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment