Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Truthful Tuesday 5/8/12


I am excited, as 3 of my kids are gearing up to their opening night of Fiddler on the Roof at their school. The younger two are in the chorus, but my eldest Daughter is playing the role of Hodel, the daughter who moves to Siberia to be with the one she loves.

I am going to be in the front row with the camera and probably crying. Why?  I just love everything to do with the stage and the telling of a story.




To tell the truth, it is my opinion that there is something so magical about music and the portrayal of a story.


I have written on many occasion regarding my greatest desire to be on the Broadway Stage.  

Why, exactly? It is just to be in the spotlight?  

No, not exactly. 

I am lucky to have that honor as a Church Cantor in the Catholic Church. (I know singing at Mass is not about me, but I am highly visible, thus in the "spotlight")

Week after week, it is my goal to offer the story of how God loves you and how He is there for us always.  It is an honor and I swear there are many times I feel as if the songs I am singing are speaking directly to my own heart. 

There is just something so magical about how the telling of a story just takes you away.  It whisks you off to somewhere else, other than where you life has led you at the moment.  Not to say that you always want to be away from your current situation, but it can serve as a delicious form of distraction from any stresses or concerns, just for a little while.

When you have the right chemistry between a singer and music or an actor and their lines, it is just the right amount of energy to propel a person from where they are to where the actor or the singer wants you to be.  

THAT is what I want to be a part of on the Broadway stage.  To have the pleasure of taking people away, out of their current life, to a place the spirit can soar, united in the story. 

Any good entertainer can take people away with their mic and their voice for that matter.  There is just something in the energy of their song that just takes you away.


Music is an amazing tool to unite people everywhere.  Its language is understood by all.  Just like a smile has a way to connect to one another, the same can be said for the power of music.


Take for instance, Playing for A Change.  They search countries all over the world for choice musicians and unite them in song.  Just beautiful!  I especially love their latest collaboration, done all in Mexico.  It's amazing to watch.  I loved it.


[vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/41400522 w=400&h=300]

Thru a friend on my Facebook page, I was treated to a song from Next to Normal which was performed at at Broadway Rocks, a concert held on this past May 6th.

It just amazed me how their performance transformed me to the Next to Normal Stage with no props, no backdrops, nothing but them and the musicians.  Only their voices were needed to transport me up and away into their story.  What a gift for both the performers and those who are lucky enough to listen. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150904601111043
Loudly yours,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment