Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Choices


Here is a card I like to keep around since it reminds me that I can choose realign my thinking.  When I read the top, it gives me a stomach cramp, but the phrase below is so powerful and peaceful.  Looking at the 2nd phrase gives me a calmer frame of mind and gives my mind the clarity I need to give myself more options than just to freak out when adversity comes.  I unfortunately tend to be a reaction type person, so I have to watch myself and take the time to stop, breathe and think before doing things.  It is very hard for me to do that as a Mom since things fly at me faster than I can think.  

Last year, two of my youngest kids decided to would be a good idea to paint my newly renovated bathroom with white paint.  They painted EVERYTHING...the floor, the walls, the bathtub, the blinds, the toilet, themselves...you get the picture.  

Recently, hubby took the time to go to our local Home Depot to get stuff to remove the paint (for the most part) from the bathroom.  He did not yell at them while he was doing the job, (unlike me, I would have been yelling out loud in frustration while cleaning it) and my youngest coyly approached him in the bathroom.  "Uh, Dad?" she said. "Vincent and I are sorry that we painted the bathroom."

Wow.  Just wow.  No provocation, nothing.  She just up and apologized. 3 years old.  She gets it.  My solution would have been on the "making them feel guilty" side, assuming that they don't even give a crap, much less feel remorseful!  I would have handed them their head and probably make them feel the pain by scrubbing alongside me!! Thankfully, I was at work and hubby got the gift of realization on the part of a 3 year old.  I on the other hand am grateful that I was working and we could both see that something is sinking into our children.  

Thank God.

Loudly yours,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment