Thursday, April 5, 2012

Gluten free update!

I am happy to tell you that my gluten free quest has been great all around! I have lost about 6 pounds quite effortlessly and have had the most clear skin I have seen in ages.  I have been sleeping great and not a second of stomach pain or gas!  I love it!!

 I even found some recipes from a great site called Gluten Free Cooking School that has some great insight and great recipes that are quick.  Here are some of my favorites:


Gluten Free Bread – 30 Minute Flatbread

Sometimes life does not leave time to bake a loaf of bread. Even with a bread machine there have been months during that past year in which I could not convince myself to bake a loaf of homemade gluten free bread. That’s pretty bad when you consider that the recipe is fairly simple and quick. I’m forgiving myself though, since I’ve technically had a “bun in the oven” for 14 of the last 17 months.
For more easy gluten free recipes like this one, make sure to check out my ebook, The Gluten Free Survival Guide. I put all of my favorite GF recipes in there, including sandwich bread, pancakes, waffles, tortillas, pizza and more. I know your family will enjoy the recipes as much as mine does!
Since our family cannot live without gluten free bread, we’ve been surviving on my gluten free flatbread recipe. We’ve been making this for years, but I hadn’t posted it before because it was based off of Kate’s gluten free wrap recipe. However, over the years my lack of willingness to buy tapioca flour, read cooking instructions, or buy $6 of yeast every week has made this recipe into something I consider my own. After finally stumbling on the secret to making this gluten free bread without yeast – I literally stumbled and spilled all of the yeast – this recipe is finally ready for public consumption.
When the bread has finished baking, cut each square into 4 pieces. Then use the the pieces to make sandwiches – we’ve had everything from grilled cheese, to vegan BLTs, to Reubens, to PBJ’s. It’s not as fast as grabbing gluten free bread out of the freezer, but it tastes SO MUCH BETTER!
Gluten Free Turkey (Tofu) Sandwich with Cranberry and Arugula
Gluten Free Flatbread Recipe
1 c. brown rice flour
1/2 c. corn starch
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. water
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. canola
2 eggs (or flax eggs)
1. Mix all dry ingredients in medium size bowl.
2. Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Grease two 8 in. square baking pans and dust with brown rice flour.
4. Spread half of batter evenly into each pan. Use the back of a wet spoon if the dough is sticky.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 15 minutes, or until bread pulls away from the sides of the pans.
Substitution Notes: Tapioca starch or potato starch can be substituted for the corn starch. Flax eggs are 1 Tbsp ground flax seed + 3 Tbsp. water. I haven’t tried egg replacer since I generally have flax seed on hand.

Here is another!  Did you know that Rice Crispies are NOT gluten free?  In the beginning of my gluten free quest, I started eating Rice Crispy Treats to help alleviate any cravings I might have and did not initially lose much weight at all. Now I know why. 

For Midnight Snacking: Rice Chex Treats


What do you get when you cross Rice Krispies Treats with Rice Chex? A gluten free snack that is even better than the original!
I made Rice Chex Treats when we were visiting my parents over Labor Day. My dad wanted to make Rice Krispies Treats for David . . . and then remembered that Rice Krispies are not gluten free. Luckly the small town grocery store stocked the new Gluten Free Rice Chex cereal and we decided to try that as a substitute.
Were we ever surprised!  Not only did the Rice Chex Treats tast just like Rice Krispies Treats, they were easier to eat.  Do you remember how Rice Krispies Treats can get hard after they sit a while? So that you almost break your teach trying to bite throught them? The shape of the Rice Chex cereal makes it impossible to packthem into  a tight layer so the treats never  get as hard as Rice Krispies Treats. Even after they sit on the counter all day, you can cut a square and bite into without any difficulty.
P.S. I made this photo sometime around midnight last night while in the midst of a most trying tax calculation. The photo didn’t turn out well….and John said that I should be embarrassed to post it. So we’ll be making another batch this weekend and try to make these Treats look as yummy as they really are.
Rice Chex Krispies
Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 package (10 oz.) miniature marshmallows*
6 cups Rice Chex
Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat.
2. Add the marshmallows and stir frequently until they have melted.
3. Add the Rice Chex and stir until all of the Chex are throughly coated.
4. Spread the Rice Chex mixture into a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish and set aside to cool.
5. To serve, cut into squares or just let everybody grab a handful.
*make sure the marshmallows are gluten free

THE ONLY THING I ADDED WAS VANILLA AND SALT TO TASTE....MY KIDS WERE ALL OVER THEM!!

Loudly yours,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment