Monday, October 18, 2010

A haunting.....

There is a new song on the radio that has been haunting me lately.  Ever had that happen to you?  I really try to make sure that I listen to music that has meaning to it and I usually find it on the Christian music station.  It has come a LONG way. It is nice to hear the same songs sometimes on other stations that are not Christian like WPLJ.  Anyway, the name of this song is Lead Me. http://www.sanctusreal.com/ and it is so very true.  I think it really speaks to the plight of American families nationwide.  It serves for me, as a reminder to put aside what does not matter and keep my focus on what does.  It comes from the voice of a father to his family, but it is so easy to turn around to me as Mother, as I sometimes find myself chasing after things that are fleeting.  This song reminds me, as funerals do when I sing at them, that this life is short and that you can't take it with you, so chasing after things that do not matter is simply an illusion to distract us from the things that matter the most, our loved ones, who hopefully, we will spend eternity with in the afterlife.  Many times, as I sit in full view of the casket of a person and have the privilege of singing at their last public remembrance, I think, wow.  This is it for them.  They are leaving us, as simply as they came, penniless, weak, with nothing, but with that weakness, comes a power, a freedom to be free of this life and have things like they have never had them before.  I think of the legacy they have left, good or bad and where my legacy will be.  Thankfully, I have the honor of singing at many funerals and have the chance to reflect over and over.......I need it, since I am easily distracted by the lures of this world.  It is one of reasons why I love the song Lead Me so much. Its catchy and when it comes to my mind and I am humming it, it makes me stop and think about my actions and what I am doing in that minute.  Those are the kind of songs I cherish the most and the ones I will keep listening to the most....the haunting ones.

Loudly yours,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment