Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hello....goodbye....

This past weekend was a little bitter sweet, especially as a cantor in the Catholic Church.  It might not seem like such a big deal to some, but to me, it was kind of sad.  The Catholic Church is changing all of its Mass Settings in every Catholic Church in the world.      


It was 10 years in the making, and it seems to be a good change to me, but each time I rose to sing an Acclaimation song, (for instance the Gloria), I kept thinking; "this is the last time I am ever going to sing this version of this song".....and it was sad to sing it for the last time.  Lately, my voice has been suffering and not sounding normal, so it was doubly as hard to sing with all I had, these songs, for the last time....especially since I could not sing "with all I had" since it was just not there!  ( I hate it when my voice is not working normally...but it sure does make me appreciate it when its all there.)

Change is good, but we, as humans, usually struggle with it.  We will never sing "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again" ever again and it was...I don't know...a little unsettling.  I know it is not even going to be a second thought in a couple of weeks, and I knew it was coming for a very long time, but when the time actually came to sing it, it was not as easy as I thought it would be.  Just like a old friend moving away (yes, Betty, I am talking about you) it is hard when it comes down to the line and that person does move away and things seem to change forever.

Yes, we make new friends and life goes on, but there will always be that nostalgic yearn for what was in the past as we go forward into the future.  

So, good-bye old music, tried and true, and hello new Mass Settings....here's to great new times with you!

All the best,

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment